Skip to main content

WHAT NEXT? πŸ˜“πŸ˜“πŸ˜ͺ

I recently got my heart broken πŸ˜–. Contrary to what most people who saw my status update about this event thought, it wasn't by some guy or person, but it felt every bit as horrible, if not worse. Well, here's what really happened.

Image result for heart break

I am currently in my final year of university, and as is the custom, I have to complete a research project. By the end of the first semester, I had already completed and gotten approval from my supervisor for my chapters 1 and 3. I planned to finish chapter 2 (which is by far the longest 😩😩😩 in terms of what you have to type) during the Christmas break. I even had this plan to type 1 page per day and if all went as planned, I would be done before Christmas.

Image result for picture of if wishes were horses

Oh, if wishes were horses, beggars would jump on top! Well, the holiday came and life happened. I had numerous movies to watch or games to play or naps to take or ceiling to hopelessly stare at. There was always something that really wasn't so important to do. I was only able to put together 1 page of chapter 2 during the holiday. PS: I didn't regret doing this for one second. I enjoyed every bit of my holiday and if I could do it all over again, I wouldn't change a thing.

Related image

Fast forward to the end of Christmas break, so we're back in school and it's time to get those fake serious juices flowing again. The first week of school passed, the second week, third week; I was still on that one page. Well, I changed something in the last sentence so I guess I made some progress right? πŸ˜…

Image result for picture of awkward laughter

By the end of the third week, news came that mini defense was scheduled for the first week of February. (Insert every single procrastination adage you've ever heard). I had about 14 days to put together the entire chapter 2 that I had been lazying about all along.

Image result for picture of awkward laughter

So I like pacing my self. Giving myself time to get work done and also have a life! I had the subheadings I wanted to write on, the number of pages had to do per day planned out in my head and everything. If I missed any day or any target, that meant that I had to make up for it in the following days. By the end of the first week, this system was actually working. I was making steady progress.

Image result for picture of meehhh

Then came Sunday (dum dum dummmmm). I opened my laptop at night to resume chapter 2 from where I left off the previous day, lo and behold, gentlemen and ladies, the file I had been working on consistently for a week had vanished! GONE! without a trace! and I did not back up the file anywhere! I usually send the drafts I have been working on to myself via email so I can always have it there and I print my work as I progress for my supervisor to look through but since I was going to submit the whole chapter to my supervisor at once and I was still trying to get my ideas together to see what worked and what didn't, I didn't back up ANYWHERE. Yep, you guessed it, my heart shattered into a trillion granules of fine sand. 

Image result for heart break

At first, although I was in denial, 'no this can't happen, not today', there was a part of me that prepared for the disastrous event that the file had indeed disappeared, the part that always asks me 'so what next'. I checked everywhere, recycle bin, searched on PC and then I reverted to Google, my friend to see if people have experienced similar problems and what they did to get out of it. I tried all the 10 tips suggested by windows care and none worked! 2 hours had gone by and still nothing. 

Image result for heart break

In that moment of heartbreak, I had to face the reality that maybe all my week's work and months' of laziness had been erased from the face of the earth. I had to consciously ask myself the question this time, 'so what next?'. I had to start again, but not that night, not in that moment of indescribable hurt. I didn't cry though, I'm not so inclined to express my feelings through that medium πŸ™Ž. I had to sleep knowing well that the next couple of days might be one of the hardest and most emotionally demanding I have ever faced.

Image result for picture of renew

The next day I began anew, still sore from the events that took place the night before but looking ahead to the goal that had to be accomplished. This time I started making more progress and I actually backed up every single time (fool me once shame on you, fool me twice...)

Just when I thought that it couldn't get any worse, the worst thing happened. On the 3rd day after I had gone beyond where I was on the file that disappeared, the file miraculously REAPPEARED on my laptop like it never even left 😨😰. You know, like a good number of relationships when the party that ended things tries to get back with the party that didn't want the relationship to end in the first place.

Image result for heart break

At that moment, the track 'Gone for Good' by Nigerian artist Simi began playing in my head. '...so why you, have to pull me back, sheyb you say, you won't be coming back o, damn you! this is really bad, sheyb you say, you were gone for good... tell me why you come back ooo shey you want make I pack my load o 😭... sheyb na you tell me say you're gone for good ooo, shey na you tell me goodbye baby...'

Image result for picture of simi gone for good

I can't tell which was worse, losing the document that night or finding it 2 days later after I have made so much sacrifice to get to where I stopped. Well, I just compared both documents and realized that the 2nd one I had to do was much better than the initial document and oh yea, after lazying about the whole chapter 2 for 2 months, I finished it in 4 days. It was a heart wrecking occurrence by the end, I guess it was all worth it.

Image result for picture of what next

So maybe like me, your heart gets broken, by food or like most other people, by a partner, a trusted friend etc, I know it might feel like nothing could possibly make you feel more hurt than you feel at that moment and sometimes you might need a minute or a year to heal and accept all that has happened; don't feel guilty about taking all the time you need to feel better because while some can heal over a night's sleep, others may never fully heal till they take their eternal sleep but not to worry, time is only a construct so take as much as you need to feel better and when you do feel better, don't forget to ask the all too important question, WHAT NEXT?

Comments

Tega Odjugo said…
Oohh the project curse hit you too, sorry. Indeed in trying times we just have to find a way to forge ahead. Nice one
Unknown said…
Great lesson Ed!
Unknown said…
πŸ˜‚
I remember this.
Next time, backup twice
NELSON JOVIAL said…
Sorry ooo, take heart...

On a real deal, this is such a comic relief readπŸ˜‚
Unknown said…
I totally can relate, sometimes things happen to shake us for normal into more.. See how u finish in 4days
Aigbe Ehis I said…
Lol ok this is something. Laughs aside tho I like how u used this experience, totally worth the read thanks.
Tega Greats said…
I should go and start writing my chapter two now! 😳 I honestly dont know what I'd do if my file goes missing

Popular posts from this blog

I HATE SCHOOL

I hate school! 😣 Never have I more convincingly told myself that I hate a thing. I hate the fact that I have to get up early everyday to get ready to acquire information that I would not need in the future. I hate the fact that I'm tested by my ability to know what the teacher wants me to know, how he wants me to know it and present it the way he wants me to otherwise, I might not be qualified to advance to the next stage. I'm a square peg, I hate that I'm being forced to fit in a triangular hole, I hate it! We all hate school for so many reasons. The rules, the annoying teachers, the uncomfortable seats, having to wake up early to go for class πŸ˜“, the books we have to read, sometimes the ugly outfits we have to wear, the terrible cafeteria food that breaks our hearts and make us fall out of love with our favorite food πŸ˜‰... The list is unending. But there's one thing that tops the list of almost everyone that hates school, the EXAMS! The most inefficient

NEW YEAR NEW ME '24

I missed out on posting my annual birthday blog this year cos I was too busy living life and having fun  πŸ˜… But, without a doubt, chapter 23 or 2023 was my best year yet; I call it the happiest year of my life thus far. As I said in Chapter 22 , I maintain that my biggest "flex" is I've never had a better previous year. My life just keeps getting better and better. God abeg, this is not a challenge to do a 'Job test' on me. I'm not one of your strongest soldiers, I dey beg. So what happened last year that made it my happiest year yet. As always, before I write these "birthday blogs", I read through the previous ones just to refresh my memory on what I was thinking about when I was writing the previous one and, I guess, to reminisce on the time I was having then. For example, in chapter 23 , I talked about how little I was writing on LinkedIn and Twitter because I was writing elsewhere. Well, I stopped writing "elsewhere" by the end of last

THE FEAR OF LONELINESS

Walking down the street without a companion, sitting at a restaurant table for two alone, staying at home with no one to hang out with on a Friday night. Thoughts like these normally come to mind when we hear the word 'loneliness' and thus we can easily say we aren't lonely because we are always in the company of friends and family and even when we're on our own, we aren't truly alone because we have our devices that connect us to thousands of people at virtually a push of a button... If only loneliness was that simple 😩.  True loneliness lies in being surrounded by people of similar tastes and preferences and still feeling alone. True loneliness resides in having to hide parts of who you are and things you feel just to fit in. True loneliness is being accepted for who you are not! True loneliness is... being unique but having to act like everyone else πŸ˜”. Personally, I've had my share of lonely moments but I won't be talking about myse