Skip to main content

HOW DO I GET SO MUCH TO WRITE

Short answer: thinking and talking to myself... A LOT!


Part 1: Thinking 



I am (or rather I try to be) very active in my thoughts. I try not to be an outsider or a passer-by to my thinking. My mind is always doing the darnedest things, and I come along FULLY for the ride 😂


I think I'm HILARIOUS. After spending some time with me, most people tend to agree (you don't have to agree, not everyone has good taste 😅 JK... or am I 😏). I know I know, humor is subjective and whateva




Side Storytime with moi


I remember my first day at my office in London when our colleagues took us out for lunch. We were just talking about ourselves and backgrounds etc., so they asked me about Nigeria. I said something along the lines of the government sucks, but the people are HILARIOUS!!! And made several other sentences emphasizing this.


One of my colleagues, who's Ghanaian, later said he didn't really believe me when I said Nigerians are hilarious till one day after a meeting we were gisting about what had happened in the meeting, and I started rolling out the jokes. My guy almost fell off his chair laughing with tears rolling down his eyes. He had to admit that although he didn't believe me when I said it on our 1st day, he definitely believed me as time went on. I've made him laugh like that a couple more times since then.


I may or may not be a clown 😂




Anyways, I digress


I also think everyone should think the same about themselves, that they're hilarious. If not, how else do you live? 


But that's just 1 part of the story. It's not enough to just think.



Part 2: This is where talking comes in




And by talking here, I don't always mean speaking; it could also be writing. Talking here refers to producing your thoughts in a tangible form.


I vocalize everything I notice or am feeling as if it's a tweet/status update/memoir (in my head, of course, LOL, don't wanna be looking crazy in these streets! But thank God for face masks so, in noisy places, no one can really see me talking to myself). I tell it like I would tell someone who wasn't there or like I'm chatting to a friend who sometimes doesn't understand the inside jokes, so I sometimes spell them out. 


I always talk to myself, sharing stories, JOKES, and pointing out things I notice and find interesting. And if it's a really good/interesting/funny thought/story, I share it. Also, if I just feel like sharing cos I can, I share it, like I'm sharing now.




Most of my favorite books are written like this; very personalized, like you're a person in the author's head going through the motions.


I always wish I could write down everything I think as I think it. But writing is so much slower than thinking. And so linear, whereas thinking is so multifaceted. That is, I can hold many thoughts at once, rapidly shifting from one to another or simultaneously doing all at once, one main thought and a few background thoughts working their way to a solution. But writing is always limited to one per time. I try to write down as much as I can, and when I can't, I just talk to myself and hope I remember it sometime in the future.


So how do I get so much to write about: I deep the things I observe and talk or write about them.


Did you ask this question? Probably not.

But will that stop me from telling you? Definitely no

You're welcome 😊

Comments

Itobore said…
I think this is an interesting piece and subject. Nice write up!

Popular posts from this blog

I HATE SCHOOL

I hate school! 😣 Never have I more convincingly told myself that I hate a thing. I hate the fact that I have to get up early everyday to get ready to acquire information that I would not need in the future. I hate the fact that I'm tested by my ability to know what the teacher wants me to know, how he wants me to know it and present it the way he wants me to otherwise, I might not be qualified to advance to the next stage. I'm a square peg, I hate that I'm being forced to fit in a triangular hole, I hate it! We all hate school for so many reasons. The rules, the annoying teachers, the uncomfortable seats, having to wake up early to go for class 😓, the books we have to read, sometimes the ugly outfits we have to wear, the terrible cafeteria food that breaks our hearts and make us fall out of love with our favorite food 😉... The list is unending. But there's one thing that tops the list of almost everyone that hates school, the EXAMS! The most inefficient

NEW YEAR NEW ME '24

I missed out on posting my annual birthday blog this year cos I was too busy living life and having fun  😅 But, without a doubt, chapter 23 or 2023 was my best year yet; I call it the happiest year of my life thus far. As I said in Chapter 22 , I maintain that my biggest "flex" is I've never had a better previous year. My life just keeps getting better and better. God abeg, this is not a challenge to do a 'Job test' on me. I'm not one of your strongest soldiers, I dey beg. So what happened last year that made it my happiest year yet. As always, before I write these "birthday blogs", I read through the previous ones just to refresh my memory on what I was thinking about when I was writing the previous one and, I guess, to reminisce on the time I was having then. For example, in chapter 23 , I talked about how little I was writing on LinkedIn and Twitter because I was writing elsewhere. Well, I stopped writing "elsewhere" by the end of last

THE FEAR OF LONELINESS

Walking down the street without a companion, sitting at a restaurant table for two alone, staying at home with no one to hang out with on a Friday night. Thoughts like these normally come to mind when we hear the word 'loneliness' and thus we can easily say we aren't lonely because we are always in the company of friends and family and even when we're on our own, we aren't truly alone because we have our devices that connect us to thousands of people at virtually a push of a button... If only loneliness was that simple 😩.  True loneliness lies in being surrounded by people of similar tastes and preferences and still feeling alone. True loneliness resides in having to hide parts of who you are and things you feel just to fit in. True loneliness is being accepted for who you are not! True loneliness is... being unique but having to act like everyone else 😔. Personally, I've had my share of lonely moments but I won't be talking about myse