Skip to main content

HOLD ON

“Until the day is over, there’s a chance you’re going to remember it for something else” - This is us ๐Ÿฅบ


One of my favorite songs from Adele's 30 is "Hold On". Some lines that really stand out to me in the song are: "Right now I truly hate being me" and "Let time be patient".


Right now, I truly hate being me


We've all had moments where we HATED our lives. Where we would have happily jumped at the chance to live another person's life, even just for a day. In fact, sometimes I genuinely ask myself, how am I sure than I am me? 


Like how do I tell my essence apart from someone else's? Like I came to the consciousness that I am who I am at like, age 5, but how do I know I'm myself and not someone else. It's a complex question to ask and even explain, so I try not to think about it for too long.




The point is, at many times in our lives and maybe even right now, we have hated being ourselves. The song offers encouragement in the next line.


Let time be patient


I read that line 2 ways. As 1 sentence, let time be patient; let time take its time. And as 2 sentences; Let time. Be patient. Allow time have its way with you; let time do its thing. Be patient with it. In time, things tend to work themselves out or at least become clearer.


One interesting quote I heard from one of my favorite shows, This is us, puts it like this: "Until the day is over, there's a chance you're going to remember it for something else"


The day in that sentence can be the literal 24 hours or just be the entirety of our lives.


A bad day could wrap up with marvelous news. A good day could get even better with even better news. Hold on.


Without sounding too motivational (idealistic), A bad day could get even worse with even worse things happening. A good day could go to shit with terrible news. Hold on regardless. No lose concentration ๐Ÿ˜




I remember posting on my status one day that "today was a fairytale". That day indeed was a fairytale. I went to this very fancy part of town, went to this fancy exclusive place that costs a FORTUNE to get in at no cost to me. I even got paid to be there ๐Ÿคฏ Did this beautiful work for this hooge company (details later). It was a perfect start.


Then the day went to shit. 


I wanted to go buy some supplies. The place I was going to was 2 buses from my house and 2 buses back. On the 1st bus, between the point where I swiped my card in front of the bus to my seat, I held on too tightly to a pole to prevent myself from falling cos London buses (or the drivers) tend to move mad. My card was in the hand that I used to hold on to the pole, so the pressure from my hand plus the fixed form of the pole ended in tears with my card broken ๐Ÿ˜“


Which is not too much of a problem. But considering that London buses do not take cash; all payments are contactless (i.e., you tap your card on the machine to pay for the bus); this was a problem because contactless payments don't work if there's any damage to the card. I didn't know this for sure, but I was quickly going to realize this when I tried to take the next bus to get to my destination. 




Remember, in total, I had to take 4 buses, and my card broke on the 1st one.


So now I had to figure out what to do after I stopped at the place to pick up the 2nd bus. On entering the bus, I tried tapping my card on the machine to see if it would work. Of course, it didn't! I tapped it like 5 times. The driver was getting impatient, and after everything, thankfully, he just let me in. So 1 bus down, 2 more to go. My new strategy was to try tapping the card that I knew would not work on the card reader and HOPE that the other 2 bus drivers I meet would be as kind as the other drivers. Thankfully they were.


But then another problem arose. 



I still needed the card to ride the train, and unlike the buses, there isn't any human interaction at the train station. But that was a future problem. A more imminent problem was that the next day, I had an appointment on the other side of town that was 2 buses away too, and I had to be there during the day. I didn't imagine that the 4 bus drivers I encountered would be as accommodating, so I had to solve my card problem quickly. 


I couldn't set up Apple pay cos my iTunes store was registered in Nigeria, and Apple pay doesn't work in Nigeria ๐Ÿ˜’and changing that setting was going to take 48 hours at the least! So that solution wasn't going to cut it. I eventually found a way around it but the 2nd half of that day was spent fixating on solving the broken card issue that I couldn't fully enjoy and bask in the fairytale that was the 1st half of my day.


"Until the day is over, there's a chance you're going to remember it for something else"


I've had many days that started off on the wrong note end on the best one too. So keep hope alive.


HOLD ON



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I HATE SCHOOL

I hate school! ๐Ÿ˜ฃ Never have I more convincingly told myself that I hate a thing. I hate the fact that I have to get up early everyday to get ready to acquire information that I would not need in the future. I hate the fact that I'm tested by my ability to know what the teacher wants me to know, how he wants me to know it and present it the way he wants me to otherwise, I might not be qualified to advance to the next stage. I'm a square peg, I hate that I'm being forced to fit in a triangular hole, I hate it! We all hate school for so many reasons. The rules, the annoying teachers, the uncomfortable seats, having to wake up early to go for class ๐Ÿ˜“, the books we have to read, sometimes the ugly outfits we have to wear, the terrible cafeteria food that breaks our hearts and make us fall out of love with our favorite food ๐Ÿ˜‰... The list is unending. But there's one thing that tops the list of almost everyone that hates school, the EXAMS! The most inefficient

NEW YEAR NEW ME '24

I missed out on posting my annual birthday blog this year cos I was too busy living life and having fun  ๐Ÿ˜… But, without a doubt, chapter 23 or 2023 was my best year yet; I call it the happiest year of my life thus far. As I said in Chapter 22 , I maintain that my biggest "flex" is I've never had a better previous year. My life just keeps getting better and better. God abeg, this is not a challenge to do a 'Job test' on me. I'm not one of your strongest soldiers, I dey beg. So what happened last year that made it my happiest year yet. As always, before I write these "birthday blogs", I read through the previous ones just to refresh my memory on what I was thinking about when I was writing the previous one and, I guess, to reminisce on the time I was having then. For example, in chapter 23 , I talked about how little I was writing on LinkedIn and Twitter because I was writing elsewhere. Well, I stopped writing "elsewhere" by the end of last

THE FEAR OF LONELINESS

Walking down the street without a companion, sitting at a restaurant table for two alone, staying at home with no one to hang out with on a Friday night. Thoughts like these normally come to mind when we hear the word 'loneliness' and thus we can easily say we aren't lonely because we are always in the company of friends and family and even when we're on our own, we aren't truly alone because we have our devices that connect us to thousands of people at virtually a push of a button... If only loneliness was that simple ๐Ÿ˜ฉ.  True loneliness lies in being surrounded by people of similar tastes and preferences and still feeling alone. True loneliness resides in having to hide parts of who you are and things you feel just to fit in. True loneliness is being accepted for who you are not! True loneliness is... being unique but having to act like everyone else ๐Ÿ˜”. Personally, I've had my share of lonely moments but I won't be talking about myse