Skip to main content

TALE OF THREE CITIES (TTC): BELFAST

For 5 weeks from the start of June to early July, I spent 3 weeks away from my home, in London, travelling to 3 different cities: Belfast, Gibraltar and New York; spending 1 week in each city. This travelling wasn't done in a 3-week stretch. I did 1 week away, 1 week at home, another week away, a few days back and then the final trip.

To be honest, I didn't plan the order of the trips at all. I didn't even plan all the trips at the same time. It just so happens that British Airways flight sales for these destinations were around the same period. I only did the holidays for 1 week because the flights were on sale.

Anyways, that was such a fun, exciting time. I experienced a lot and have so many stories to tell... hence the resurrection of this blog. After all, that's what this blog was, is and has always been. A place for me to go to whenever I can/want and tell stories I want to tell.

Let's get 1 question out the way first.

How did I manage this while doing a 9-5? As a few of you may know, I have a job (that funds these trips); I wish I had some trust fund taking care of these tours... but oh well, such is the life of an adult.

Back to the question, how do I do it? Well, thanks to work from home, I could work from a different "home" in different cities around the UK for some days and take leave on the other days when I planned to do full-day activities. I did this half and a half. So of 5 weekdays of travel, I work for 2/3 and take leave for the rest days to do full-day sightseeing.

With that being said, let's start with Belfast

Belfast

I booked this flight 9 months before I stepped on the plane because there was a sale, and I knew I would be done with my CFA level 2 exams by the time the flight would come, and it would therefore be the 1st stop on my UK tour. 

For those who don't know, since last year, I committed (to myself) to take out time every summer to travel to as many cities as I can in the UK. I did this because I like seeing new places, and it didn't make sense to me to live in a place for so long (I've been in the UK for about 4 years now, expect a blog on the anniversary 😏) and not know any place other than the city you live in. 

In my 19 years in Nigeria, I've been to 18 of Nigeria's 36 states (not counting FCT, of course, this isn't an election 😉), which is… whatever (I don't know what it is), but I think it's important to see as much of a country as you can.

In the UK, so far, I've been to Loughborough (where I schooled), Leicester, Nottingham, Northampton, Manchester, Belfast, the Causeways of Northern Ireland, and of course, London (where I've lived for over 2 years now); and last year on my (annual summer) tour, I went to Bath, Cambridge, Derby, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Loughborough (again). Put simply, I've been to a few places. I've gone by car, bus, train, plane. I prefer plane cos it's the fastest (obviously), but I genuinely enjoy flying and fun fact, it can sometimes be cheaper to fly to some places in Europe than to go by train/bus.

That was a long 2-paragraph detour, but back to the story...

Belfast was very different from every other UK place I've been. To start with, they seem to be very religious. They had scriptures on their buses (I've never seen this anywhere else, not even in Cambridge, that had catholic churches everywhere you look).


Churches seemed to be the mainstay, at least, in the area I was in.

Their buses are numbered quite differently from how they are in London. They are numbered 1a to probably z (not that I saw any 1z buses, but who knows, maybe there are). 


London buses are usually numbered by just numbers, from 1 to (who knows) 1000.


I love KFC (this love may be fading cos the quality nowadays could be better, but I digress), and I love trying KFC in every new city I visit. 


I've tried KFC in Accra, Cairo, Ikeja, Victoria Island, New York, Belfast, London, Loughborough, Bath, Athens, Northampton, and a few other places. I even have a ranking for KFC going; I rank Accra, Cairo, Ikeja, London, Loughborough, Bath, and Athens at a tied 1st because they all taste similar and to my mind, they have the original KFC taste. 

KFC Victoria Island is an easy last for me, cos I have no idea what kind of chicken they are making there. I'll talk about the New York ranking in the NY TTC blog, but KFC Belfast was something… down there with Victoria Island!

Put simply, it was too much oil! If I had squeezed out the oil from the chicken, I could have used it to fry eggs while leaving enough oil for the chicken to exist. I found that very annoying. And to be fair, I tried the chicken at 2 different locations in Belfast to see if it was just the wrong branch I went to, so nobody can say I didn't give them a chance. And the chicken was the same oily thing. The only reason it doesn't come last is that the chicken generally tastes like the KFC I know, and lurvv, it just had too much oil.


To be fair to the franchise, these kinds of businesses generally adjust the menu and the taste to fit the city/country they are in. E.g. the one in Ikeja has a bit more pepper in it. The one in NY is gigantic, as is typical of American food. So maybe the people of Belfast like their chicken with more oil than I do?


Next point.

Belfast smells, and it doesn't seem like the streets are cleaned daily. There was broken glass on a path I walked past every day for 7 days; the glass never changed position. 

There are several signs like these all over the city, and I saw enough dog shit to understand why they have so many signs around.


Speaking of dogs, Belfasters have disproportionately more dogs than people I've seen everywhere else in England. And when walking dogs, they tend to pee and shit around. Some owners clean up after, others don't (hence signs). The ones that don't fully fund the smelly city status. I'll just be walking and behold, piss or shit smell. Quite jarring.

Did you know the Titanic was built in Belfast? 

And the company that made the Titanic had other ships too? Such as one called the Laurentic, the Celtic, the Nomadic, the Olympic and, of course, the Traffic; the last one caused a lot of Traffic on the high sea 😅



If only the people of Oceangate took their passengers to Belfast's Titanic Museum instead of the Titanic maybe... (I joke)

Speaking of unique experiences, the Giant's Causeway is a once-in-a-lifetime view; 10/10 would recommend seeing this. 

Pictures don't do it justice. The rocks are so unique, unlike anything I've seen or heard of.

Plus, if you sit at the edge (pictured below) and make a wish, it will come true. I wished for something, of course; I'll let you know how that goes 😅

Giant's Causeway is very far from Belfast (a 3-hour bus/train trip or an hour-and-a-half drive if you rent a car/uber), but it's worth the trip.

Speaking of wishes, like most places of the world, Belfasters have their folklore. E.g. they say, if you touch this fish, you'll get wisdom. I went to the fish, and it touched me instead 🤷🏾‍♀️ I don't make the rules 🤭


I'd also really recommend the bus tour. It's a great way to see some of the key parts of Belfast.

I'd recommend paying for 2 days rather than 1 because, with 2 days, I could take the trip slowly and not be too tired by the end as there are almost 20 stops with at least 5 worth seeing. Travelling slowly is more fun (less tiring) than just checking off all the places on your bucket list. You get to see and experience more. And the additional charge for 2 days is just £5 while a 1-day trip is £20. Instead of paying £40 for 2 separate day bookings, pay £25 for a straight 2-day booking.

There's a lot to see in Belfast, lovely greenery, lovely parks, very, very different accents to the typical Brit and Game of Thrones. 

I quite enjoyed my time in Belfast. Many people told me I didn't need a week to see Belfast, and they would have been right if I just wanted to do all the activities and leave. Doing a week allowed me to take breaks between outings and travel slowly. Of course, it meant I was paying double rent (rent for my flat in London, where I wasn't staying, and the Airbnb in Belfast), but something must give.

A final word of Advice

Consider the hotel and flight costs when planning a trip to Belfast.

Don't just look at the flight cost when going to Belfast. Hotels in Belfast are cutthroat expensive, and so are the Airbnbs. I couldn't find a hotel that'd charge less than £1,000 for a 7-night stay in Belfast. 

Cost and smell aside, I recommend Belfast, if only to see the Titanic museum, and Giant's Causeway, which is a one-of-a-kind view.

Watch out for the next one... TTC: Gibraltar (arguably the best country I've been to yet)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I HATE SCHOOL

I hate school! 😣 Never have I more convincingly told myself that I hate a thing. I hate the fact that I have to get up early everyday to get ready to acquire information that I would not need in the future. I hate the fact that I'm tested by my ability to know what the teacher wants me to know, how he wants me to know it and present it the way he wants me to otherwise, I might not be qualified to advance to the next stage. I'm a square peg, I hate that I'm being forced to fit in a triangular hole, I hate it! We all hate school for so many reasons. The rules, the annoying teachers, the uncomfortable seats, having to wake up early to go for class 😓, the books we have to read, sometimes the ugly outfits we have to wear, the terrible cafeteria food that breaks our hearts and make us fall out of love with our favorite food 😉... The list is unending. But there's one thing that tops the list of almost everyone that hates school, the EXAMS! The most inefficient

NEW YEAR NEW ME '24

I missed out on posting my annual birthday blog this year cos I was too busy living life and having fun  😅 But, without a doubt, chapter 23 or 2023 was my best year yet; I call it the happiest year of my life thus far. As I said in Chapter 22 , I maintain that my biggest "flex" is I've never had a better previous year. My life just keeps getting better and better. God abeg, this is not a challenge to do a 'Job test' on me. I'm not one of your strongest soldiers, I dey beg. So what happened last year that made it my happiest year yet. As always, before I write these "birthday blogs", I read through the previous ones just to refresh my memory on what I was thinking about when I was writing the previous one and, I guess, to reminisce on the time I was having then. For example, in chapter 23 , I talked about how little I was writing on LinkedIn and Twitter because I was writing elsewhere. Well, I stopped writing "elsewhere" by the end of last

THE FEAR OF LONELINESS

Walking down the street without a companion, sitting at a restaurant table for two alone, staying at home with no one to hang out with on a Friday night. Thoughts like these normally come to mind when we hear the word 'loneliness' and thus we can easily say we aren't lonely because we are always in the company of friends and family and even when we're on our own, we aren't truly alone because we have our devices that connect us to thousands of people at virtually a push of a button... If only loneliness was that simple 😩.  True loneliness lies in being surrounded by people of similar tastes and preferences and still feeling alone. True loneliness resides in having to hide parts of who you are and things you feel just to fit in. True loneliness is being accepted for who you are not! True loneliness is... being unique but having to act like everyone else 😔. Personally, I've had my share of lonely moments but I won't be talking about myse