Skip to main content

THE NEED TO FEEL IMPORTANT

I remember the day I heard of instagram. Some friends were talking about this new app that allowed you upload pictures, view pictures, get followers and loads of other fun stuff. I was so intruiged by it not because I liked taking pictures for people to see, but just because of the way they talked about it. They went on and on about how they had hundreds of followers and how their pictures easily gathered likes over this new app. So I thought, maybe I would do the same and maybe get even more likes and followers. Later that day, I downloaded the app and instantly created a profile. The goal then was simply to get more followers than they had and have my pictures become instant hits! Easy! Oh how naive I was πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. 

So I uploaded my first post and after a week, I still had 5 likes! Just 5 likes! I actually just had 4 likes plus my own like on my photo πŸ˜‚. Meanwhile, my friends were cruising about a hundred likes on every single new post they dropped just within the first 24 hours of the upload! They were like superstars 😎 while I was easily blending into the audience 😒. I remember one day, walking around the reception of my hostel and begging people I didnt even know to follow me on Instagram and like ALL my posts! It's so funny when I think of it now, but then, the struggle was REAL!!! I didn't even stop to think about how stupid I must have looked to them πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. I was willing to go any length just to be able to raise my chest whenever I was in the company of those girls and talk about how many likes my photos had on instagram or how many followers I had then, not because having a certain amount of followers meant I'd get paid a million dollars or I'd win a nobel peace prize or something cool like that. I just wanted that because I needed to feel important! 

Do you remember your first tweet 😏? How much you monitored the number of retweets and likes you got? Or your first post on facebook, how you smiled when the alerts for your likes going from 1 to 2 likes after 1 hour? πŸ˜† or when you started your blog and how you kept checking how many views you got every single second πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ (ok maybe the last question was more about me than you πŸ˜† but, you get the point). Or maybe you're not much of a social media person. Remember the day you got that question in class and the teacher made everyone stand up to applaud you or how you get a little jealous when that girl/guy always got the math problem right or when you dreamt that you were richer than Bill Gates because you built the new app that everyone wanted πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚. Those little moments, the likes, retweets, applause, the dream victories πŸ˜† sure it felt great. The numbers were really fun to watch, sometimes painful, but mostly fun. They were designed to be like that. To keep us coming back.

Why else would you wake up every morning eager to check the status update you uploaded on your Whatsapp status the previous night to see how many views it got overnight πŸ˜‰All of those systems play on one vital piece of human psychology.
The need to feel important! 
Contrary to popular belief, all these things don't necessarily make us selfish or narcissist or something bad like that, not always at least. They mostly just make us human. But just like everything that makes us human, we could easily turn it into a bad thing πŸ‘Žor a good thing πŸ‘. It's so easy to do good with it. For example, Imagine if you didn't try to get popular on twitter at another person's expense? Imagine if you didn't use the popularity you had to make another person feel less important. Imagine if you did nice things like support a worthy cause or helped a person in need or helped a friend that just started her blog to spread awareness and get more viewers πŸ˜πŸ˜†. Ok, ignore the last one, that one was about me again. All I'm saying is, everyone loves feeling important at some point in their lives, trying to pull someone down to bring yourself up might make you feel important but it also makes you a bully πŸ˜’πŸ‘Ž.

In our quest to satisfy this need for importance, let's not make others feel less important. There's more than enough importance to go around. Feel free to share 😁

So that's what Edna thinks. Feel free to comment about those funny things you've done in the past to feel important πŸ˜‚ or not. But don't forget to tell your friends about this blog so you can help Edna satisfy her need to be important too πŸ˜‚πŸ˜€. You could also tell me about something you want me to talk about in the comment section.

Till next time on Edna speaks, yall have been an awesome audience!
Thanks for reading. 

Comments

Unknown said…
πŸ‘πŸ½πŸ‘πŸ½
Tecco said…
Nice oneπŸ‘πŸ‘
Unknown said…
Really cool, totally relateable
Unknown said…
Really cool, totally relateable
Unknown said…
Really cool, totally relateable
Author said…
I can totally relate Edna. I remember when I built my first portfolio as a full stack developer on Sensei Favour After positive recommendations from individuals, I was like "Na me be this? " but the interesting thing was that I didn't make other Developers in school feel less important. I made sure they leveraged on my recommendations to project themselves too. keep being awesome Edna. -
Bfh said…
We often look for relevance and importance in the all the wrong places and sometimes for the wrong reasons. I guess as we age, we'll realise what truly matters.
Keep up the good work
You got yourself a fan already.
Aigbe Ehis I said…
Nice piece, a worthy read. Lol smooth
Aigbe Ehis I said…
Nice piece, a worthy read. I agree. Lol smooth
Aigbe Ehis I said…
Nice piece, a worthy read. I agree. Lol smooth
Unknown said…
Thanks for this piece Edna
Unknown said…
How many likes do you get on instagram now?
Edna speaks said…
Still not enough πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

Popular posts from this blog

I HATE SCHOOL

I hate school! 😣 Never have I more convincingly told myself that I hate a thing. I hate the fact that I have to get up early everyday to get ready to acquire information that I would not need in the future. I hate the fact that I'm tested by my ability to know what the teacher wants me to know, how he wants me to know it and present it the way he wants me to otherwise, I might not be qualified to advance to the next stage. I'm a square peg, I hate that I'm being forced to fit in a triangular hole, I hate it! We all hate school for so many reasons. The rules, the annoying teachers, the uncomfortable seats, having to wake up early to go for class πŸ˜“, the books we have to read, sometimes the ugly outfits we have to wear, the terrible cafeteria food that breaks our hearts and make us fall out of love with our favorite food πŸ˜‰... The list is unending. But there's one thing that tops the list of almost everyone that hates school, the EXAMS! The most inefficient

NEW YEAR NEW ME '24

I missed out on posting my annual birthday blog this year cos I was too busy living life and having fun  πŸ˜… But, without a doubt, chapter 23 or 2023 was my best year yet; I call it the happiest year of my life thus far. As I said in Chapter 22 , I maintain that my biggest "flex" is I've never had a better previous year. My life just keeps getting better and better. God abeg, this is not a challenge to do a 'Job test' on me. I'm not one of your strongest soldiers, I dey beg. So what happened last year that made it my happiest year yet. As always, before I write these "birthday blogs", I read through the previous ones just to refresh my memory on what I was thinking about when I was writing the previous one and, I guess, to reminisce on the time I was having then. For example, in chapter 23 , I talked about how little I was writing on LinkedIn and Twitter because I was writing elsewhere. Well, I stopped writing "elsewhere" by the end of last

THE FEAR OF LONELINESS

Walking down the street without a companion, sitting at a restaurant table for two alone, staying at home with no one to hang out with on a Friday night. Thoughts like these normally come to mind when we hear the word 'loneliness' and thus we can easily say we aren't lonely because we are always in the company of friends and family and even when we're on our own, we aren't truly alone because we have our devices that connect us to thousands of people at virtually a push of a button... If only loneliness was that simple 😩.  True loneliness lies in being surrounded by people of similar tastes and preferences and still feeling alone. True loneliness resides in having to hide parts of who you are and things you feel just to fit in. True loneliness is being accepted for who you are not! True loneliness is... being unique but having to act like everyone else πŸ˜”. Personally, I've had my share of lonely moments but I won't be talking about myse