Skip to main content

CHANGE



A couple weeks back, while reading a post on my friend's blog about the importance of drinking water, I decided to change my consumption habits from carbonated drinks to water. At that time, I was so convinced that I couldn't do it, I said to myself 'water is so bitter' 😣, I'd probably puke if I take too much of it 😣. I know you're probably thinking 'is it not the same water that we were taught in high school to be colorless, odorless and tasteless?' Well, to me, at that time, water was bitter and I couldn't imagine myself going everyday with that 'bitter taste' in my mouth.



Day 1 went by and I was able to live with the 'bitter taste' in my mouth. Day 2 up to day 6 felt the same way. On day 7, a friend gave me a bottle of carbonated drink along with a slice of cake from her birthday goodies. There it was, my first temptation. Since I couldn't bring myself to buy carbonated drinks, temptation decided to show up with a free one. I took the first sip and then the second, lo and behold, I couldn't bring myself to take another sip, I had to throw it all out. The tables had turned, the carbonated drink that I loved and couldn't live without became bitter to me 😕.




It's been over a month now, I drink a sizable amount of water daily and I'm enjoying myself doing it. I don't miss drinking carbonated drinks anymore, instead, I'd rather have myself a chilled glass of water after a long sunny day 😋. Turns out our science teachers were right all along, water is actually tasteless 😅.




Sometimes, when we feel like making changes in our lives ranging from the simple stuff like sleeping less or more to letting go of some friends or ending that generational feud; even when we know that those changes would affect our lives for the best, we feel it's impossible to do it. We feel like the change is bitter and sometimes, we might actually be right.




However, if we are willing to suck it up and push ourselves to make those all too important changes, we'd find out that although day 1 might be hard and day 10 a little less hard, by day 100 we wouldn't even notice. It just begins with the little steps, remember we agreed, success is the journey 😏. Don't worry, even if temptation comes on day 7, because we've tasted what it feels like to make that change, after a few sips, we'd be like 'nahhhh, I prefer me some water' 😉.

Comments

Unknown said…
Intuitive piece... I do have a preference for gradual organismic changes as they ease into transitions rather than soonte spontaneous and transformational changes
Aigbe Ehis I said…
Amazing, entertaining, and more so, educative. I love this, thanks a lot.

Popular posts from this blog

I HATE SCHOOL

I hate school! 😣 Never have I more convincingly told myself that I hate a thing. I hate the fact that I have to get up early everyday to get ready to acquire information that I would not need in the future. I hate the fact that I'm tested by my ability to know what the teacher wants me to know, how he wants me to know it and present it the way he wants me to otherwise, I might not be qualified to advance to the next stage. I'm a square peg, I hate that I'm being forced to fit in a triangular hole, I hate it! We all hate school for so many reasons. The rules, the annoying teachers, the uncomfortable seats, having to wake up early to go for class 😓, the books we have to read, sometimes the ugly outfits we have to wear, the terrible cafeteria food that breaks our hearts and make us fall out of love with our favorite food 😉... The list is unending. But there's one thing that tops the list of almost everyone that hates school, the EXAMS! The most inefficient

NEW YEAR NEW ME '24

I missed out on posting my annual birthday blog this year cos I was too busy living life and having fun  😅 But, without a doubt, chapter 23 or 2023 was my best year yet; I call it the happiest year of my life thus far. As I said in Chapter 22 , I maintain that my biggest "flex" is I've never had a better previous year. My life just keeps getting better and better. God abeg, this is not a challenge to do a 'Job test' on me. I'm not one of your strongest soldiers, I dey beg. So what happened last year that made it my happiest year yet. As always, before I write these "birthday blogs", I read through the previous ones just to refresh my memory on what I was thinking about when I was writing the previous one and, I guess, to reminisce on the time I was having then. For example, in chapter 23 , I talked about how little I was writing on LinkedIn and Twitter because I was writing elsewhere. Well, I stopped writing "elsewhere" by the end of last

THE FEAR OF LONELINESS

Walking down the street without a companion, sitting at a restaurant table for two alone, staying at home with no one to hang out with on a Friday night. Thoughts like these normally come to mind when we hear the word 'loneliness' and thus we can easily say we aren't lonely because we are always in the company of friends and family and even when we're on our own, we aren't truly alone because we have our devices that connect us to thousands of people at virtually a push of a button... If only loneliness was that simple 😩.  True loneliness lies in being surrounded by people of similar tastes and preferences and still feeling alone. True loneliness resides in having to hide parts of who you are and things you feel just to fit in. True loneliness is being accepted for who you are not! True loneliness is... being unique but having to act like everyone else 😔. Personally, I've had my share of lonely moments but I won't be talking about myse